When there are openings for any upcoming classes, they will be advertised right here on our website. Continue to check back for any updates and future class offerings.
OUR NEXT RECRUIT CLASS WILL BEGIN JANUARY 11, 2021. OPEN ENROLLMENT WILL BEGIN SEPTEMBER 14, 2020. DUE TO COVID-19, WE PREFER THAT YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION VIA U.S. MAIL. HOWEVER, APPLICATIONS CAN ALSO BE DROPPED OFF IN PERSON MONDAY-FRIDAY FROM 8AM-3PM. WE WILL NOT PROCESS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS, SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROVIDED EVERYTHING ON THE CHECKLIST WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS IN ADVANCE OF CLASS OFFERINGS AND WE DO NOT FORM WAITING LISTS FOR FUTURE CLASSES.
PLEASE SEE STEPS 2 & 3 BELOW…THIS IS A REQUIREMENT BEFORE YOU CAN APPLY.
The Minimum Standards Firefighting Program is designed to provide entry level training for individuals who have not yet entered the firefighting field or who are serving as volunteer firefighters. The graduate will be employable as a full-time firefighter with duties in fire prevention and extinguishment as well as duties in the enforcement of municipal, county, or state fire prevention codes.
The Southwest Florida Fire Academy provides the required minimum standards of training for employment as a certified firefighter under the direction of a fire service supervisor. The program focuses on developing the skills, work habits, traditions, and the knowledge necessary to insure graduates a successful career in the fire service. The Southwest Florida Fire Academy also provides continuing education and training to certified firefighters for personal development and professional advancement.
ADMISSIONS POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Minimum requirements and steps to attend the Basic Firefighter Academy.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a standard high school diploma or GED® – Must be from an acceptable accredited agency.
- Have a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. A background check will be required.
- Be a legal United States resident.
- Be Tobacco Free for a minimum of 12 months prior to attending class.
- Not have a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces in the United States.
- Be drug free a minimum of 3-5 years prior, depending on substance used, Certified Drug Test required.
- Complete an American Heart Association CPR – BLS for the Healthcare Provider Course, submit a copy of card with application.
- Complete a physical (after acceptance into the program).
Step 1: Review the website www.SWFPSA.org for class dates, information about the program and the application process.
Step 2: Register for and successfully complete the CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test). Additional information can be found here: https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/cpat_info.cfm
Step 3: Eligible for application. You are eligible for application when the CPAT is passed (must provide a copy of results) and you have met the requirements above. The CPAT will be verified by an Academy staff member. Print out the application, gather the required documents and turn in completed application.
Step 4: If the application is complete, the prospective student may be considered for placement in the program. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Step 5: Fingerprints = $50.75
Step 6: Certified Drug Test = $35.00
Step 7: Written exam and/or Interview. Additional information about this process will be provided.
Step 8: Additional information and steps will then be e-mailed to the applicant.
Step 9: Orientation is mandatory and all fees are due at this time.
Please return application packet to the attention of Monica Busbee.
Please refrain from emailing or calling to ask about your application, as soon as it is reviewed you will be contacted by phone call or email.
Course Fee Firefighter I & II :
In State – $5,653.09
Out of State – $9,977.77
Course Fee Firefighter II :
In State – $4,468.37
Out of State – $7,114.16
(All course fees must be paid by check, debit or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.)
Note: Fees are subject to change without notice.
- Course Number : FFP0010 & FFP0020
- Monday - Friday 7:00 am to 4:00 pm (16 Weeks) = 492 hours + 40 hours exams
- Affordable Course Fee
- Instructor : John Wayne