Interested in a career in fire or emergency medical services?
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification is required by many employers in these fields. Our EMT course prepares recruits for EMT certification.
Review this page for class dates, course information, and the application process.
When there are openings for any upcoming classes, they will be advertised below on this page. Please continue to check back for any updates or future class offerings.
Verify that you are eligible for application:
Minimum requirements for EMT course eligibility:
- Be a legal United States resident.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Have a standard high school diploma or GED® from an acceptable accredited agency.
- Not have a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces in the United States.
- Be Tobacco Free for a minimum of 12 months prior to attending class – highly recommended.
- Be drug free a minimum of 3-5 years prior, depending on substance used. A certified drug test is required upon conditional acceptance to the course.
- Complete an American Heart Association Basic Life Support course. Proof of current certification is required with application.
- Adhere to “Specific Requirements for Immunity” (separate form). Immunization records are required with application.
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. A background check is required upon conditional acceptance to the course.
If you have ever been convicted of, pled no contest to, regardless of adjudication, to a crime in any jurisdiction, you may be required to submit documentation as stated here.
The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services has created guidelines for specific offenses to be cleared in the certification office; however, staff cannot make determinations in advance as laws and rules do change over time. Crimes that cannot be cleared by staff will be sent to the Bureau of Emergency Medical Services for review. SWFPSA makes no guarantee that any specific offense will be cleared as this is beyond our control.
If you meet all of the requirements in Step 1, print out all EMT Application Forms & Documents, follow the directions, and turn in your completed application packet during the open enrollment period. Application packets should be made to the attention of Mrs. Busbee.
The TABE test is mandatory/required to apply.
If the application is complete, the applicant will be considered for placement in the program. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Applicants will be notified of the Academy’s decision after the open enrollment period ends and all completed applications have been reviewed. Please refrain from emailing or calling to ask about your application. When the review and selection process is complete, all applicants will be notified.
Conditionally accepted applicants must complete and submit a digital background check and certified drug test. The estimated cost, which is subject to change, is $99.00
Conditionally accepted applicants who submit acceptable digital background check and certified drug test results become recruits. Recruits will be invited to a mandatory orientation session to be fitted for uniforms and personal protective equipment.
Please note that all pricing is approximate and subject to change.
The Applied Technology Diploma EMT course at Southwest Florida Public Service Academy prepares students for certification as emergency medical technicians. The EMT treats various medical/trauma conditions using appropriate equipment and materials.
Course content includes basic life support level:
Medical patient assessment skills,
Trauma patient assessment skills,
Airway management skills,
Cardiac arrest management,
Traumatic injury management:
Fractures, dislocations, sprains
Toxicological emergencies recognition and management,
Cardiovascular emergencies recognition and management,
Neurological emergencies recognition and management,
Infection and sepsis recognition and management,
Diabetic emergencies recognition and management,
Emergency childbirth and pregnancy complications,
Environmental emergencies recognition and management,
Written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills,
Medical legal reporting and documentation,
Extrication and spinal motion restriction,
Safe lifting & moving,
This course prepares students for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician in accordance with Chapter 64J of the Florida Administrative Code.
EMT Course Announcements:
OPEN ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED.
Applications will be accepted during any open enrollment period via U.S. Mail or they may dropped off at the Academy Monday-Friday from 8 AM-3 PM. We will not process incomplete applications, so please ensure that you have provided everything on the checklist when the application is submitted.
2022 EMT Courses will be announced in October 2021.
Applications will not be accepted in advance, nor will we form a waiting list.
Course Fee :
In State – $2,216.70
Out of State – $4,853.70
(All course fees must be paid by check, debit or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.)
Note: Fees are subject to change without notice.
- Course Number : EMS 0110
- Monday, Wednesday, & Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm + Field and Clinical Internships = 300 hours
- Affordable Course Fee
- According to O'Net Online, jobs for Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics are expected to grow much faster than average (22% or higher) from 2012 - 2022.