The Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Tests (CJBATs) were developed to insure that trainees entering into Florida certified criminal justice training centers possess the requisite abilities to master the curricula and understand the materials that are presented to them in training. Prior to attending a Law Enforcement, Corrections, Auxiliary, or Crossover Academy, a candidate MUST obtain a passing score on the appropriate CJBAT exam.
Candidates expecting to attend a Law Enforcement Academy, Law Enforcement EOT Academy, Law Enforcement Auxiliary Academy, or Crossover from Corrections to Law Enforcement Academy must pass the Law Enforcement CJBAT. Candidates expecting to attend a Corrections Academy, Corrections EOT Academy, or Crossover from Law Enforcement to Corrections Academy must pass the Corrections CJBAT.
Candidates who fail the CJBAT are eligible for a retake. However, the retake exam cannot be identical to the test the candidate failed. In order to insure that a different version of the CJBAT is administered for a retake, the candidate is responsible to inform the registration staff that they have taken and failed the CJBAT before. Failure to do so could result in a voiding of the retake results. There are no fee refunds. No more than three tests may be administered to any candidate over a 12 month period.
Test Date and Registration Deadlines
December 1, 2017
January 26, 2018
February 9, 2018
February 23, 2018
March 9, 2018
March 23, 2018
April 13, 2018
April 27, 2018
November 2 – November 29, 2017
January 8 – January 24, 2018
January 25 – February 7, 2018
February 8 – February 21, 2018
February 22 – March 7, 2018
March 8 – March 21, 2018
March 22 – April 11, 2018
April 12 – April 25, 2018
(20 SEATS ARE AVAILABLE FOR EACH TESTING SESSION. You will be registered fittingly upon seat availability. Registration date could close before the deadline).
Areas of Measurement
The CJBAT series of exams were designed to select candidates for admission into law enforcement officer or correctional officer training. Each of these disciplines uses a unique test. Each of the CJBATs include a measure of the same basic abilities, but they are customized for each criminal justice discipline.
Definitions of the areas of measurement:
• Deductive Reasoning the ability to apply rules to specific problems to come up with logical answers.
• Inductive Reasoning the ability to combine separate pieces of information, or specific answers to problems to form general rules or conclusions.
• Information Ordering the ability to correctly follow a rule or set of rules in order to arrange things or actions in a certain order.
• Memorization the ability to remember information such as words, numbers, pictures and procedures.
• Problem Sensitivity the ability to tell if something is wrong or likely to go wrong.
• Spatial Orientation ability to tell where you are in relation to the location of some objects.
• Written Comprehension involves reading & understanding written words and sentences.
• Written Expression ability to write a paragraph using proper grammar and spelling.
You cannot be admitted into a Law Enforcement Program if you took a Corrections CJBAT and you cannot be admitted into a Corrections program if you took a Law Enforcement CJBAT. You must know at the time of registration which exam you intend to take. Once registered, you cannot change your exam choice.
A capacity of 20-25 seats are available for each testing session. Do not wait until the deadline to register for a particular test day. Once the limit of candidates is reached, the test date will be closed and we will not accept any more registrations for that date even if the deadline has not yet passed.
You must register in person at our location between the ours of 8:00am and 3:45pm. The cost for the CJBAT is $50.00 payable by Money Order ONLY. Must bring with you the payment, valid ID, and social security card to register. Money order is payable to the “Public Service Academy.” This fee is NON REFUNDABLE. You will be given a receipt for payment and you must bring this receipt with you on test day along with a valid photo ID.
Candidate Testing Policies
• Candidates should arrive 15 minutes prior to the posted examination start time.
• The doors are closed and locked at the posted examination time. Candidates who arrive at or after the posted time will be turned away.
• A total of 3.5 hours has been allotted for the examination session.
• 1 hour is allotted for candidate identification, instruction, and miscellaneous administrative requirements.
• Candidates are given a maximum time of 2.5 hours to complete the Law Enforcement and Correctional Officer CJBAT tests.
The Dress Code is Business Casual
• Both men and women are required to wear long pants and shirts with a collar.
• Candidates wearing open toe shoes such as flip flops or sandals will be turned away.
• Jeans are acceptable providing that they present a professional, clean, and neat appearance.
• Athletic footwear is acceptable providing the shoes present a clean and neat appearance.
• There are no refunds for candidates who are turned away for failing to meet the dress code.
NO DRINKS, CELL PHONES, CAPS, SUN GLASSES OR BOOK BAGS ALLOWED IN THE TESTING ROOM. BRING ONLY YOUR VALID IDENTIFICATION AND SOCIAL SECURITY CARD TO THE TESTING AREA.
For out of state applicants only:
Please mail your money order to the Southwest Florida Public Service Academy – Attention Socorro Ojeda – 4312 Michigan Avenue, Fort Myers Florida, 33905 and include a neatly printed note providing us with your telephone number, your social security number, which CJBAT you plan on taking, and when you plan on taking it. You will not be provided with a physical receipt.
Once your money order is received, we will contact you to confirm your seat. A voice message left by us is NOT to be interpreted as a confirmation of your seat. A voice message left by us is intended to advise you that you need to return our call. If you do not receive a telephone call confirming your test date, call us. Do not show up for test day without an explicit confirmation from us; you will be turned away.