Future Fire ONLY Classes will be available on a limited basis. When there are openings for any upcoming classes, they will be advertised right here on our website. Please continue to check back here for any updates or future class openings in lieu of phone calls.
EMT & Fire Combined
The next Combined program will be held sometime in 2020. There is an unknown date for applications. Please keep checking on our website in lieu of phone calls. The applications are posted here on the website.
The Minimum Standards Firefighting Program is designed to provide entry level training for individuals who have not yet entered the firefighting field or who are serving as volunteer firefighters. The graduate will be employable as a full-time firefighter with duties in fire prevention and extinguishment as well as duties in the enforcement of municipal, county, or state fire prevention codes.
The Southwest Florida Fire Academy provides the required minimum standards of training for employment as a certified firefighter under the direction of a fire service supervisor. The program focuses on developing the skills, work habits, traditions, and the knowledge necessary to insure graduates a successful career in the fire service. The Southwest Florida Fire Academy also provides continuing education and training to certified firefighters for personal development and professional advancement.
ADMISSIONS POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
To be considered for admission into the Minimum Standards Firefighting Recruit program each applicant must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a standard High Diploma or GED- Must be from an acceptable accredited agency.
- Have a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
- Be a legal United States Resident.
- Be Tobacco Free for a minimum of 12 months prior to attending class.
- Not have a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces in the United States.
- Be Drug Free a minimum of 3-5 years prior, depending on substance use, Certified Drug Test Required.
- Complete an American Heart Association BLS CPR Course, will need to submit copy of card with application.
- Complete the pre-requisite course-Medical First Responder (this information is included in this packet
- $281.00 FL Residents $611.80 Out of State Fees
- **Not required if you have your EMT or EMTP (Must provide copy of certificate) **
- Complete a physical (done after been accepted into program)
Steps to complete to be considered for the Fire program:
- Review and print out all the forms for the application located on our website –
- Complete and gather all required forms and information for your application
(Use the checklist that is provided in the application packet)
- Review class dates and the dates that applications will start to be accepted for the
class that you are interested on our website – www.swfpsa.org. Applications will
not be accepted before the date stated for each class on the website. Be
prepared to turn in your application starting on that date – class rosters are
filled by first come first served completed applications.
- If the application is complete, the student will be placed on the next available
roster until that roster is full. The website will be updated when each upcoming
class is full. **Incomplete applications will not be placed on a class roster**
- Within 60 days of the first day of class, an email will go out with instructions on
completing a drug test, fingerprinting, & a physical. There will be a strict deadline
that will be adhered to stay on the class roster.
- Mandatory Orientation information will be emailed. The deposit on the tuition
fees will be due on that day.
- First day of class, balance of tuition fees are due
Course Fee Firefighter I & II :
In State – $3,969.50
Out of State – $7,260.96
Course Fee Firefighter II :
In State – $3,124.50
Out of State – $4,712.34
Course Fee Fire/EMT:
In State – $5,571.50
Out of State – $11,343.96
(All course fees must be paid by check, money order or credit card. Cash will not be accepted.)
- Course Number : FFP0010 & FFP0020
- Monday - Friday 7:00 am to 5:00 pm 13 Weeks 398 hours + 40 hours Exams
- Affordable Course Fee : $4,323
- Instructor : Jason Martin