Fire Only Class April 2019 – At this time, we do not have any openings in this class due to our current EMT students being offered the spots first. Other spots may become available as we get closer to the start date of this class – please check here for any updates. First day of class is April 22, 2019 & Mandatory Orientation is March 27, 2019.
Fire Only Class August 2019 – At this time, we do not have any openings in this class due to our current EMT students being offered the spots first. Other spots may become available as we get closer to the start date of this class – please check here for any updates. First day of class is August 5, 2019 & Mandatory Orientation is July 10, 2019.
Fire Only Class November 2019 – We will start accepting applications for this class on 07/29/2019. It will be first come/first served with an completed application in order to be placed on the roster. This class in the past has filled very quickly. First day of class is November 6, 2019 & Mandatory Orientation is October 8, 2019.
EMT & Fire Combined
The next available course will be offered in January 2020. We will start accepting applications for this class on 08/19/2019. It will be first come/first served with an completed application in order to be placed on the roster. This class in the past has filled very quickly.
Our May 2019 class is full and we are no longer accepting applications for this course.
The Minimum Standards Firefighting Program is designed to provide entry level training for individuals who have not yet entered the firefighting field or who are serving as volunteer firefighters. The graduate will be employable as a full-time firefighter with duties in fire prevention and extinguishment as well as duties in the enforcement of municipal, county, or state fire prevention codes.
The Southwest Florida Fire Academy provides the required minimum standards of training for employment as a certified firefighter under the direction of a fire service supervisor. The program focuses on developing the skills, work habits, traditions, and the knowledge necessary to insure graduates a successful career in the fire service. The Southwest Florida Fire Academy also provides continuing education and training to certified firefighters for personal development and professional advancement.
ADMISSIONS POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
To be considered for admission into the Minimum Standards Firefighting Recruit program each applicant must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a standard High Diploma or GED- Must be from an acceptable accredited agency.
- Have a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement.
- Be a legal United States Resident.
- Be Tobacco Free for a minimum of 12 months prior to attending class.
- Not have a dishonorable discharge from any of the armed forces in the United States.
- Be Drug Free a minimum of 3-5 years prior, depending on substance use, Certified Drug Test Required.
- Complete an American Heart Association BLS CPR Course, will need to submit copy of card with application.
- Complete the pre-requisite course-Medical First Responder (this information is included in this packet
- $281.00 FL Residents $611.80 Out of State Fees
- **Not required if you have your EMT or EMTP (Must provide copy of certificate) **
- Complete a physical (done after been accepted into program)
Steps to complete to be considered for the Fire program:
- Review and print out all the forms for the application
- Complete and gather all required forms and information for your application
- (Use the checklist that is provided in the application packet)
- Drop off the application to the Academy or place it in the mail.
- Applications will be reviewed in the order that they are received.
- If the application is complete, the student will be placed on the next available roster and emailed this information. The website will be updated when each upcoming class is full.
- **Incomplete applications will not be placed on a class roster**
- Within 60 days of the first day of class, an email will go out with instructions on completing a drug test, fingerprinting, & a physical. There will be a strict deadline that will be adhered to stay on the class roster.
- Mandatory Orientation information will be emailed. The deposit on the tuition fees will be due on that day.
- First day of class, balance of tuition fees are due.
Course Fee Firefighter I & II :
In State – $4,085.46
Out of State – $7,707.72
Course Fee Firefighter II :
In State – $3,181.66
Out of State – $4,934.90
Course Fee Fire/EMT:
In State – $5,665.66
Out of State – $11,835.08
- Course Number : FFP0010 & FFP0020
- Monday - Friday 7:00 am to 5:00 pm 13 Weeks 398 hours + 40 hours Exams
- Affordable Course Fee : $4,323
- Instructor : Jason Martin